York Labour Party is calling for an immediate end to fracking in York. Fracking is not safe, not economically viable, and not wanted near York homes. It industrialises rural areas, creating industrial traffic that would disrupt our city's communities. We must end our reliance on fossil fuels and seek sustainable alternatives.
Large parts of outer York have been licenced for unconventional oil and gas development. Labour will ban fracking and believes that fracking must not be forced upon communities.
The main objections to fracking include:
- It industrialises rural areas. The fracking companies intend to drill thousands of wells across Yorkshire.
- Each well uses thousands of gallons of clean water. At the end of the process only half is recoverable and as this is highly toxic it needs to be transported to a facility near Leeds to be decontaminated. The rest of the contaminated fluid remains in the ground and no-one knows where it goes and whether it can pollute the water table.
- Fracking causes air pollution from the wells leaking methane and gas flaring. There is also the added air and noise pollution from the increase in traffic bringing in water and taking the contaminated liquid for processing.
- Ground and surface waters are put at risk of contamination. No risk to our drinking water is worth taking. Once water is polluted it cannot be made safe again and water is essential to life. Gas is not.
- Climate change will be hastened as shale gas is a fossil fuel and methane affects the climate more than burning coal. If fracking goes ahead then the UK will be unlikely to meet our internationally-agreed climate change targets.
Please sign below to add your voice to our call for an immediate end to fracking in York.