In recent weeks your Westfield Labour team have surveyed Thoresby Road, St Stephens Road & Square, Tithe Close & The Reeves. We wanted to find out what the most important issues are for local residents and see whether there were practical things we could do to improve things.
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to complete our survey and for all the conversations we've had.
Since talking with you we have taken the following action:
- Carried out a litter pick and whilst doing this, noted that grates need clearing out, so have reported these
- Reported issues with the uneven road surface leading to the parking bays on Tithe Close
- Reassured residents that York Labour has rejected proposals to reduce the frequency of grey waste bin collections
- We listened to concerns about car parking, in particular parking on grass verges and are looking into what we can do here
The survey results show the following:
You said that Fairer Wages are important to you
· Since 2013 Labour has introduced a living wage for Council employees. This has led to other employers in the city paying a living wage such as York Hospital and Nestle.
· We don’t think this goes far enough and will continue to encourage other employers to pay the living wage. Nationally Labour has pledged to increase the minimum wage to more than £8 and ban zero hours contracts.
You said that Affordable Housing is important to you.
· Locally we aim to build more Council homes, adding to the 71 being built this year
· The Labour Council has brought many disused buildings back into use for housing such as the White Swan Hotel
· Locally we have been out campaigning on Front Street and in Chapelfields to abolish the bedroom tax
· Nationally Labour have pledged to build 200,000 new homes.
You said the Street Environment is important to you.
· The main concern you raised was dog fouling and we can see that is a problem in the area. That’s why York Labour has invested an extra £300,000 in the Council’s enforcement team and is working in partnership with the Police to have Neighbourhood Enforcement Officers patrolling city-wide from April onwards.
· Please help us to stamp-out anti-social behaviour by reporting incidences of graffiti, fly-tipping and dog fouling to your Westfield Labour team.